Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hextra curricular activities: World Building

Hello there, “Team Table Top”.

Here is another “scene” or “location” for you: the drowsy little “Hamlet of Mile Stone” (Individual hex tiles under).
























The idea of making modular hex tiles (as a way to present my world building project) have been in my head for many years before I started the actual drawing.

At first I wanted the tiles to work “from all angles” - and I tried out perspectives where everything leans toward the center of the hex and where everything leans toward the edges of the hex. These two variants where both challenging and very slow to draw, and the finished tiles did not look and/or feel the way I wanted. I finally settled on having a “true north” (the red arrow in the top corner of each hex), which is limiting how one can build – but making each illustration much easier and fast to draw.

I have also tried out many different scales, but eventually settled on the current, because I really liked the level of detail I can put into each hex. I also had in mind that the tiles where to be used for RPG- ing and/or small scale (6mm) skirmish miniature combat – and I wanted the players to have a lot of “terrain” to “work with”.


This batch of hexes is one of the first I made, and there are still a few “issues” with how the roads connect, with the scale and the perspective. In later tiles most of these “problems” have been solved.  








  























Ink182

No comments:

Post a Comment