Tuesday, July 22, 2014

An Hexiting Location: "Fire Woods"

Greetings, fellow gamers.

On G+ I was asked to post a large batch of hex tiles to give the DM/GM something to work with, and then start publishing individual hexes on a daily basis. I see the point in that suggestion, so for the next few days I will post all of the hex tiles I have finished. Then I will post the reminding hex tiles, one by one (on a daily basis?), as soon as they are colored.

Todays batch of hex tiles: “Fire Woods” (individual hex tiles under).  



















When working with the hex tiles I usually sketch out between 7-10 hexes at a time, making a “scene” or “location”. This helps me keep motivated, and it is a great feeling watching the "scene" unfold before my eyes - similar to how the picture in a jigsaw puzzle slowly appears as you lay down the individual pieces.

Another reason for making these scenes is how my creative process works. I always start with an idea that inspires a story (or scenario) - which needs a location. Each location has (at least) one of these "stories", a story not connected to any "campaign" and not meant as an adventure hook. This helps me fill the location with details and unique features that I probably would not think of if I was just making a "universal" and/or "modular" hex. 

Most of these tiles can be used individually – and when drawing them I keep in mind that they should work both as modular pieces and as part of a pre-generated “scene” or “terrain”. When drawing I also try to put in a few "easter eggs", possible "campaign elements" and references to "The Historic Storyline" of the fantasy world, but trying to keep these elements from becoming to explicit.   



































Ink182

No comments:

Post a Comment