Sunday, May 10, 2015

World in Progress. Musings from Hexland.

Disclaimer: If you are here for the epic WIP pics, scroll down to the end of this entry where I have included a couple for you to ponder over.
As shown in the previous blog entry the walls of my apartment are at the moment filled with sketched maps. Since the last entry I have started inking one of them, the «Big Picture World Map» (Format: A1 or 4x A3).

During this tedious labour I have been revisited by some thoughts that haunted me some 7 years ago when I was inking the first Big Picture WorldMap. These troubeling thoughts where put into words and published (in beautiful Norwegian) as the very first entries on this blog (#1, #2 & #3).

They where written as 3 eccentric thounge in cheek Big Beat Poems of Genesis (representing the jilted generation!) and, in their own way, served as an introduction to this project/blog.

Since all you international readers dropped into this work in medias res I have made some sort of translation (where a lot is lost, but also with something gained). So mostly the same shit, in a new language.

Lets just call them:
"Revisitations 1 – 3".
#1 «Challenges». 

Sometimes I wish I was easy.
Then I could be content making short, 
thrilling and dramatic stories
- in a handy format,
easy to package,
promote
and sell.

But I´m not,
and there is nowhere to shift the blame.

Here are my simple (or some samples of my) problems.
Everything is interconnected.

Call it magik or call it science,
thats just the way it is.

Every descision I make 
gives me new possibilities 
and directions,
but at the same time
gives me new restrictions 
and dead ends.

Every detail I define or specify,
creates a wealth of similar details
- that also can, should or must be defined or specified.

Every category I make for sorting purposes
instantly produces opposing categories
– and immense potencial for sub- categorization.
As long as you have
Something,
one could always divide
Something into two...
It is never ending, and quite magnificent!

So in stead of just telling all
these compelling stories i carry within,
I let myself entangle
in this alluring web of details.
This blog is a way of communicating 
the beauty of this
personal tragedy.

#2 «Themes».
From scratch everything was chaos.
A swirling pandemonium of ideas.
As the creator of this mess
it was my job to make things orderly around here.

In the beginning
I indiscriminately picked out single concepts
from the myriad of ideas
and scribled them down on pieces of paper
with the notion that any of them could be
just as good or important as the others.

Once isolated and noted down,
I felt that each idea
was brought under some kind of controll,
but as my random notes started stacking up,
I gradually started loosing controll again.
There was no way gettimng around the fact
that I could not create
order out of chaos
without some kind of system...

There you are;
In a clever meta way
the world building
had isolated and defined
the main themes of this work:
Chaos,
Order
and all the attempts of System
in between the two polarities.


#3 «Tools».

Wast amounts of information is floating through my imagination.
The current of the stream of conscience is so strong trying to put it all into written or spoken words is an impossible task.

But there are more tools in my kit...

Black lines
made by me
splits and divides the canvas.

The blanks are
filled in
with firm strokes of the brush.

Decision after decision
opens up and closes
faster than graspable.

Eventually:
A continent takes form
out of the nothingness
and past the point of no return.

I clearly started all off this, by drawing the first line...

but now, past genesis, the world seems to have taken upon a life of its own, and I feel more and more as a mere medium – a bound agent of reductionism.

The pics:

This first image is just a proof of progress.

It is tedious and challenging work - but in a fun way. There is stil a lot of inking left to be done, but I think its about 2/3 finished at this point. The digitalization and coloring will be a nightmare on this one...


Partially inked "The Big Picture World Map".
(Format: A1 or 4xA3 / Scale: 1cm = 50km).


This second image is just a teaser from a test project (prep work). I have been experimenting with other ways of doing the small scale modular maps.

Inspired by the scale and style of Advanced Squad Leader i have made a small batch of these, these two pages are the only ones inked so far.



Inked "The ASL Test Maps".
(Format: 2xA4 / Scale: 1hex = 50m).
Ink_182

No comments:

Post a Comment